Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Platelets up, Migrain gone

Well, I can easily say that the last 4 days have been the roughest for me since leaving first leaving the hospital after my transplant, just about a year ago. Over the past few weeks my platelet count had slowly been decreasing. Last tuesday, my platelets had dropped to 11,000, prompting my post-transplant doc to refer me to a hematologist. She ordered a platelet transfusion, which bumped the count up to 32,000, which was about half the response they were hoping for. Back on Friday to see if I'd had an more recovery, my platelets were back down to 9,000 - something in my body was destroying my platelets. The was no choice, I had to be admitted to the hospital for IVIG, which is basically a protein treatment - antibodies to go against existing antibodies which had been destroying my platelets. What was going to be a couple of boring days in hospital soon became the toughest days I've had in about a year. They started the IVIG at 1AM on Friday, and as is typical in the hospital, they don't let you sleep. By 11am, I'd begun to get a headache, which I didn't think too much of, I was short on sleep, but when you are low on platelets you are at risk for an inter-cranial bleed, CT came up clean, but nothing was helping my head, Tylenol - nothing, vicoden - nothing, morphine! - nothing. By 11 am on Sunday, my platelets had rebounded up to 83k, but my creatinen was rising so they stopped the second IVIG treatment and let me go home. For the next 2 1/2 I had the worst headache my life, that nothing would relieve, no vicoden, a late night dulaten treatment offered a couple hours of relief but nothing real. Finally back at the hospital for follow up blood work, one of the hematology fellow prescribed Imitrex for me. My platelets had rised up to 325k, and the Imitrex worked - my headache has abated. I'm back at work today, but very weak, because I haven't eaten much in the last four days. I've also got some rip-roaring indegestion from not eating and taking so much painkillers on an empty stomach - word to the wise. I can only guess that ll that extra protein from the IVIG really ticked off my chemical balance - I've never had a migraine like this before, but my God am I glad it's over.

No comments: